Thursday, February 18, 2016

Crockpot Poblano Stuffed Shells

Woman at work wanted some easy recipes, so here's a quick go to for me. (so quick I don't have a picture of the finished product).

Roasted three poblanos on the stove - need a gas stove just rotate the pepper directly on the flame until blistered on all sides, then put in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap to steam off  the skins. rub the skin off with paper towel (don't rinse you wanted the charred taste)  cut in half and de-seed.

Meanwhile put a thin layer of red sauce (basic tomato basil is good the poblanos add some spice without making it hot ) put a frozen stuffed shell inside each half pepper and put in crock pot.  I then threw in some leftover meatballs I had in the freezer but that is optional(Jane likes 5 not 6 things...).  Fine chopped some basil, oregano and garlic (you can use dried spice and dried minced garlic or leave off - I don't use a lot of salt so I always increase the herbs to make up for it) sprinkled over the shells, and then top with more sauce.  Don't drown it - sauce won't evaporate in a slow cooker- should still see parts of the shells and meatballs.

Cook on low for at least 6, if you are working 8 or 9 won't hurt- just put more sauce on the bottom and less on top so things don't burn.  15 minutes before you want to eat sprinkle on some shredded mozzerella ( I used Sargento's pizza cheese mix this time - but any Italian/Pizza ish cheese will do) cover - and once the cheese is melted it's time to eat!

The ONLY drawback to this recipe is the cheese doesn't get brown on top.  I used a crockpot liner for easy cleanup (seriously whoever invented these is a genius!!!)  but if you want brown you can always skip the liner and then before serving hit it with a kitchen torch, or I guess you can torch it on the plate or use an oven proof plate and throw it in the broiler a minute before serving.  I just deal with no brown. It's still good.









1 comment:

  1. I love crockpots! They are a time & waist saver. Put it on and go about my day.

    ReplyDelete

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.