Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Ravelympics

on Ravelry ( a community of over half a million knitters/crocheters/spinners/dyers etc), there is a fiber challenge that coincides with the Olympics.  Since I knit when I watch tv, I guess it's aimed at people like me.  It's a friendly competition, where everyone could win.  People join teams - mostly formed in existing groups.  Then they choose "events" to compete in, that if finished before the end of the olympics wins a blog "medal".  There are 17 days left until the  Olympics, so I need to start figuring this out.

I didn't do the Ravelympics last time ( the summer games 2008)  This year. I dove in and joined 3 teams.   I joined Team Jersey - well I live in Jersey after all, but I'm not doing anything major there.  I'm also on Team Puck This - a hockey group.  And my  main team ( that is shown on my Ravatar) is Team Fast Girls Knit Left - a group of Nascar fans.
 
Here are the events.  One project could actually be listed as several events.
  • Aerial Unwind eventaerial (Frog those poor unloved projects to reclaim that yarn. (This event only: requires a WIP or FO pic and frog pile pic) As I currently have nothing unloved that I want the yarn from I am not doing this.
  • Bag Jump eventbagjump (Bags, totes, pouches) Not ruled out if I found a quick felted project,
  • Beading Biathlon eventbead (All things beaded and embellished) The yarn for my knit along finally shipped yesterday.  I may do the shawlette for the Ravelympics.
  • Bobsled eventbobsled (All things pets)Nope
  • Cable Cross-Country eventcable (All things cables)I love cables.  So if I find a pattern I may do a cabled  project it would probably be a knitted slouch hat or just knitted watch cap.  Since the Puck This group started me making hats again it would fall under that team.
  • Charity Curling eventcharity (Projects for charity)My Nascar group is doing a Speed weeks knit along for squares for Victory Junction.  Since Speedweeks overlaps the Olympics, I plan on doing one square before and one square during the Olympics. So that would come under the Fast GIrls team.
  • Designer Biathlon eventdesignerbiathlon (From a swatch to published pattern in 17 days sample completed and pattern released on ravelry - swatching allowed before torch lit)Totally not creative enough to design anything, the most I ever do is modify existing patterns.
  • Designer Original Dance eventdesignerdance (Create your own design sample from scratch in 17 days {swatching allowed before torch lit}; pattern need not be written])See above
  • Designer Pattern Skeleton eventdesignerpattern (Create a publishable pattern (sample can be already knit); do what you feel is necessary to produce a publishable pattern testing, editing, etc)yeah no - see above.
  • Downhill Dyeing eventdyeing (dyeing yarns - this will only create stash)While I really appreciate the fact that there are great dyers out there that I buy really cool yarn from , I have as little interest in dyeing as I do spinning,
  • Felting Freestyle eventfelting (All things felting and fulled)if I do a felted bag it will fall under this category.
  • Fleece to FO Long-Track eventfleece (Start with fleece or roving and create a finished object)See dyeing.
  • Flying Camel Spin eventflyingcamel (Just spinning…lots and lots of spinning)See dyeing.
  • Free Dance eventfreedance (Don’t fit into any other event? This is for you)Since I kinda am using the categories to decide what my projects would be, I don't have a preconceived project in mind that I would use this for.
  • Giant Slalom-ghan eventgiantslalomghan (Afghan, blankets, throws)I'm not sure if the Square made toward the Victory Junction Afghan would count under this category.  I am certainly not making an entire ghan.
  • Hat Halfpipe eventhathalfpipe (All things hats and heads) See cable cross country.
  • Holiday Jump-Start Skiing eventholiday (Projects to be gifted/given in Dec 2010 and holiday-themed items) Do I really seem that organized??  But seriously, since I don't wear hats - if I made one it would either fall under Charity Curling, or would be a gift item.
  • Junior Olympics eventjunior (garments/accessories for kids and babies {toys have their own event})nope.
  • Labyrinth Weaving eventweaving (All things woven)um, no weaving for me!
  • Lace Luge eventlaceluge (Lace patterns and laceweight yarns)I need to find out if this event is lace with lace yarn - or if the shawlette with sport weight would count for this.
  • Mittens Moguls eventmittenmoguls (Mittens, gloves, anything that covers hands/wrists/arms)Not sure which team this will go for, but I am going to finish my snowflake mitts if it kills me!
  • Nordic Colorwork Combined eventnordiccolorwork (Colorwork, intarsia, fair isle)My snowflake mitts falls under color work as well.
  • Platter Lift eventplatter (Home and décor projects)considering a cozy.
  • Samalog Machine Skate eventsamalog (Machine knitting)no knit machine.
  • Scarf Super-G eventsuperg (Scarves, cowls, neckwarmers, smokerings, scarflettes…all things neck)If I don't do the shawlette, I may do a spring drop stitch scarf.  Or maybe a cabled cowl.
  • Short Track Shawls eventshorttrackshawls (Shawls, stoles, wraps, shawlettes)see BeaDING Biathalon.
  • Single Skein Speed Skate eventspeedskate (Projects of just one skein/hank)The hat, the squares and the cozy would all fall under this category.
  • Skelegurumi eventskelegurumi (Toys and amigurumis)I need to make another crocheted devil.
  • SnowCross eventsnowcross (Projects that combine knitting, crochet, needle-felting, embroidery, sewing …; minimum of 2 crafts combined together) Probably not, but if I do a felted bag, I may needle felt it,
  • Sock Hockey eventsockhockey (All things socks and slippers) Socks in 2 weeks isn't happening.But I do have 3 different pairs of slippers that just need finishing/seaming.
  • Stash Compulsory Dance eventstashdance (Use of long-neglected stash purchased at least 1 year ago) My charity squares would fall under this category, maybe the hat as well.
  • Sweaterboard Cross eventsweaterboard (All forms of sweaters, vests, cardis, pullovers, boleros)Nope
  • WIPs-Dancing eventwipsdancing (WIPs/UFOs and only these; Projects not touched since Jan 12th)My mitts would fall under this and if I do finish the slippers, they would be here as well.
  •  
I realize that none of this makes sense  to my non-knitting friends, and doesn't tell much to my knitting friends.  It is more a think out loud kind of post.  By next week I should have firmed up my thoughts more and will have a more definitive post. 

3 comments:

  1. ROFLMAO!! Thank goodness for Olympics that I understand LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still pondering the events I may enter. I have a baby shower on the 20th so the baby item would be good fit for that. Of course, the charity item is right in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The square that you don't think will fall under the Super-G could be a perfect project for the Free Dance. Sorry to burst your bubble, but any projects that fall under WIP dancing do not qualify for any other event.

    Wow three teams! I'm not sure if I'll be able to pull off the one team I'm on. Good luck with your events!

    ReplyDelete

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.