Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Food Finds.

FIRST  let me remind you that I'm not a doctor, that I have these issues because I'd go too long between eating etc. etc.  Periodically (I'm aiming for weekly.. but this is me so grain of salt) I'm going to blog about foods that I have found to work well with my blood glucose issues.  By not causing a spike - they also don't cause in the quick drop in blood glucose immediately after.  And they are pretty healthy for non-vegans.

One of the issues I've encountered is that I have to be very, very careful eating white rice.  Especially the short grain white rice I get in the Japanese markets.  Jasmine rice, while super yummy seems to affect me for almost a whole day , not just after the meal I eat it at - I think it starts the pendulum swinging and it takes a while to stabilize my system.  One trick I have discovered (and I thought about it, because my grandmother grew up in a Japanese farming community and the farmers would mix their white rice with barley)  Is to mix about 1/3 white rice with 2/3 barley.  Barley is super low on the glycemic index, and it seems to temper the effect of white rice wthout changing the taste and texture too much.

I've been exploring other grains as well.  The "ancient grains"  spelt, amarynth farro etc.  I found this in Costco, and I love it!

Default title upload by motoblur

It's really yummy, has a nice texture and chew, cooks up faster than white rice.  The only thing I do is use just a bit less water than the directions.  Also, it's easy to make a single or double serving -not a whole pot.

It contains farro, barley, durham wheat, rice and whole grain oats.  A 3oz uncooked serving  ( I usually eat 1/2 to 3/4 of a serving) has 270 cal, 56 gr carb ( I get 30-45 in a meal thus the partial serving) 6 gr fiber and 8 gr protein. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.