Friday, December 11, 2015

Broccoli Leaves

Who knew you could eat them.  But I found this in the produce aisle the other day:

So, I bought a bag.  Did I know a recipe?? nope.  Did I have any clue how to cook them?  nope.  Did I have a plan? Yes!!  I've heard it said that knowing the process of cooking something is better than knowing a recipe, and Miss Measures Nothing here likes that concept!

I had leftover ham from Thanksgiving.  So I basically made it sort of like escarole and beans.  I heated some olive oil, garlic and hot pepper flakes.  The the broccoli leaves in until they started wilting.  Added the ham cut into chunks  and some herbs de provence, salt and pepper, some of the pasta water.  I covered the pot until the leaves became tender, then added a rinsed can of small white beans, and whole grain pasta , a bit more pasta water to bring it all together, finished cooking the pasta and some grated parm, and asiago went on top.  

Totally yummy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.