Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Math Geek

This was a fun book, showing all kinds of ways math is present in day to day life. My top ten topics in order that they appear in the book:

  • Bubbles
  • Tangled cords
  • Raindrops are not shaped like teardrops
  • Why are manhole covers round
  • Gauss and folding pizza
  • Why buses run late and then a bunch come together
  • Juggling
  • More roads do not equal less traffic
  • Social Media jealousy - yes mathematically your friends will have more friends and be more successful than u.
  • Candy Crush
The one thing that I found made it difficult to read is probably a plus to everyone else: each topic is a chapter of 2-4 pages.  Since I tend to read a couple chapters of a book at a time it took "forever" to read the 248 page book because it was split into 100 chapters, and after 2 or 3 my brain just didn't want to keep reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.