Thursday, September 3, 2015

Finished a Kitty...Scoreboard KAL

I finished a kitty.  She's going with "Countdown to Halloween"  for Christopher.  I want to make some of the things she counts in the book to give him as well. 

There  is a KAL (Knit A Long) getting ready to start.  It's being promoted by Skacel (a yarn manufacturer) via LYSs (Local Yarn Stores)  The premise behind the KAL is you choose your football team ( NFL, college or some are doing High School)  You get yarn in the team colors, one color is for home team points, the other color is for the opponent's points  and if you go with a third color it is the break between the games.

No surprise, I'm going with the 49ers.  The way it works is as the game goes by and the points are scored you knit the appropriate number of rows ( I think it's a tube, I haven't seen the actual pattern yet) So if the 49ers score a TD with extra points it will be 7 rows of red. If Dallas answers with a FG it will be 3 rows of gold.  Black will be the game break.  At the end of the season, the two ends get grafted together, and you have a scarf that is a record of the season.

I had a lot of trouble finding a nice gold (not yellow - wouldn't want people thinking I root for the Redskins) yarn.  I tried the Hikoo that the KAL intended but couldn't find both colors.  Finally I ordered from FiberWild in Illinois.  They were out of the red, but it was coming in. I'm using black for the game break color.  I got my order in - and they even sent me a KAL drawstring bag!! 


2 comments:

  1. soft kitty warm kitty little ball of fur................
    i love the concept of the football cowl but will do a scarf and will do it on straights and will do it in Steelers colors with a heather grey separater! I save a few dollars by using Pallette by Knit picks and don't get the bag but it is all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I checked knit picks, their serrano was a good red, but honey wasn't gold enough

      Delete

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.