Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Best Book I've Read in a Long Time!

This was one of the best books I've ever read.  As in stayed up way too late reading, went to work late the next morning good.  My house became a temporary pig sty good.  My husband and daughter were forced... gasp... to feed themselves good.  I didn't touch yarn or needles while I was reading it good.  Barely made the gym some days good.


Of course, when I was about 2/3 of the way through, I realized how screwed I was.  It took about that long for the fact that the word Trilogy was on the book jacket.  Yup trilogy.  I need to get through 2 more books to put this one to rest.  And book 2 doesn't come out until 2012!!  (That whack job rescheduling the end of the world for October better be wrong, or I will enter the forever seriously pissed)  Then again that also somewhat implies book 3 in 2013.  So the Mayans better be wrong about 12 2012 - or see above pissed comment.


The story is of the 3 creature races, witches, vampires and daemons.  And their need to survive in an increasingly human world.  An old Alchemy manuscript, called back from oblivion , by Diana Bishop - descendant of a witch burned at Salem- who rejects her magic since her parents' murder when she was 7, draws the attention of witches, vampires and daemons all of whom have a belief as to what was in the manuscript.  Most do not have her better interests in heart.  One vampire whose attention she draws, Matthew Clairmont, has been around for 1500 years.  He has been searching for this manuscript for 150 years.  There is a ban on relationships between the different creatures for a thousand years.  Diana doesn't know this as she does not operate within the magical realm.  Through the course of the book they fall in love.


A found note from her parents, a page that was removed from the manuscript give a clue as to their destiny.  I don't want to spoil the book, so that's all I can say.  


When returning the book to the library, I had a chat with the librarian, who had also read the book.  She is with me in the "we didn't know it was a trilogy argh!" boat.

Now I am finally reading Spun by Sorcery, which my friend Grace was kind enough to lend me months ago!  Hopefully I can return it to her next week!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great book.

    Speaking of the Harold Camping (the guy who has now incorrectly predicted the end of the world TWICE), have you seen this video? I saw it for the first time last night, and I nearly died laughing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBJSibMTFHM

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great, and if you like these you'll probably love my friend Ilona Andrews, too.

    Magic Bites
    Magic Burns
    Magic Strikes
    Magic Bleeds
    http://www.ilona-andrews.com/kate-daniels/

    And then there's her Edge Series, also incredible ... check them out. I just didn't get my housework done yesterday because Hexed came in the mail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love loved that book. I can't wait for the second book to come out this fall.

    ReplyDelete

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.