Sorry- I did say I'd be posting more, but work fell apart this week. On that note - if you could spare a prayer or thought to my friend Good Dan - his mom passed yesterday after a stroke on Wednesday.
Items I must have in the freezer to function in the kitchen.
1. diced onions - yes, I prefer to chop a fresh onion, but sometimes time/energy constraints require a quicker/easier solution. So there is always a bag of diced onion in my freezer door.
2. roasted pepper strips - from Target - they have a bag of red/yellow/green grilled pepper strips - sometimes I use them as strips sometimes I chop them - I put peppers in 90% of my dinner's and once again fresh isn't always happening.
3. salmon fillets - really easy, quick dinner- top it with some herbs and olive oil or lemon juice, make an extra have it over salad the next day for lunch. I usually order mine from Schwann's.
4. chopped spinach bags- the bags are easier than the boxes. I think the bag prevents freezer burn better than the box and it's easier to get a small amount out. I use it in omelets, risotto dishes, dips, soups, pasta sauces. Very versatile, very yummy and an easy way to get some more veggie on the plate.
5. andouille sausage - it goes in a lot of my quick and easy default dinners - rice & beans ( pinto, red, pink, black) okra and tomatoes over rice, jambalaya, kale sausage & white beans, mexican chicken stew.
6. vanilla ice cream (Target Archer Farm's Madagascar Vanilla is my fav) by itself - or as an addition great for dessert.
7. cheese ravioli. my grandmother's after school snack she made us was ravioli with butter and fresh herbs - it's now one of Angie's snacks if she didn't get a good lunch. also layered with the frozen spinach, portabella's maybe sausage & tomato sauce makes a fast fake lasagna.
8. boneless skinless chicken breast - thaws quickly in a bowl of cold water and is probably one of the most versatile proteins.
9. unsalted butter sticks - the urge to bake usually strikes without warning, and this used to be the one item I had to go to the store for, I learned and am now prepared.
10. ice - LOL!