One of Nerdopolis's challenges this month is something inspired by a favorite villain in another Nerdery. Clearly, I had to use Darth Vader (if you ever heard my phone go off, I have several Star Wars sounds for various things). I also needed something I could accomplish in the short month of February. Rules have changed when NerdWars and Nerdopolis split apart, but both got rid of the requirement that a project be started that month, however, since I didn't have anything started that was appropriate, I needed a small project.
What do you think of when you think of Vader? His helmet? His voice? His lightsaber? I went with the lightsaber, and made 2 - one for the Burt's Bees lipbalm I always use, and a slightly longer one for the kind that the Angie uses (pity it doesn't seem like she'll be joining me on the Dark Side anytime soon) I used beads for the buttons on the sabers. The original pattern was written for a heavier weight yarn - so I had to adapt it to sock yarn since the scraps I had in the colors required were sock weight. Overall I'm pretty happy with them.
In knitting updates, I finally finished the back of my Tracery Vest and seamed the shoulders!! Not I just have to do the neck and arm trims(two color ribbing) and block. It is conceivable that I will have this finished by Easter! (Now that I said this - watch and see what life hurls my way) I probably should have taken the picture before I picked up stitches for the neckbanding...
I also started a pair of two color toe up socks. The pattern I chose for the instep doesn't really show in the dark yarn - but plain socks take me twice as long to knit, so I'm sticking with it. Also the other pair of socks I made with Bearfoot yarn really bled out a lot of color when I wash them (handwash with Euclan!!) so I'm expecting these to fade quickly and maybe the pattern will show more then. The toe and heel will be done with some leftover Happy Feet yarn - it goes well together - and Happy Feet makes me happy!