Friday, February 20, 2015

Slow Cooker Moroccan-ish Chicken

IMG_20150216_185128802

I wanted to make a Moroccan inspired chicken in the slow cooker.  Just as a warning - I don't usually add salt in most of my cooking, this requires me to bump up the spices to get the same flavor experience.  If you add salt you may need to adjust the spices.  I did two takes on this recipe- the first time I added 4 cloves of garlic... I usually am pretty vampyre proof with all the garlic I eat. It didn't work in this dish - so the second time I eliminated it.  The recipe makes about 3 servings, it's just Curt and I now, I'm not big on leftovers I can't remake somehow, but Curt will take them for lunch.  

  • 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (obviously other parts will work) 
  • 2 tbsp whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp ground allspice
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/3 sweet onion (sliced)
  • 4 tbsp Moroccan seasoning ( I used McCormick) divided in half
  • 3 small sweet potatoes diced
  • about 1" of ginger root grated
  • small handful of baking raisins
  • 3/4 cup chicken stock
  • 2 servings of whole wheat pearl couscous


I cut each breast in about 5 large chunks, dredged it in the flour/allspice mixture and lightly browned them (centers were still raw) I put the chicken in the bottom of the crockpot, sprinkled with 2 tbsp of the Moroccan seasoning, and put the sliced onion on top.( ignore the garlic in the photo -it was from the first try)

IMG_20150215_224204678

I buy the bag of microwave sweet potatoes because they are smaller than the ones sold loose, and then I open the bag to release the moisture and use them  to cook with.  I put the diced sweet potatoes in a layer over the top.

IMG_20150215_224729115

I added a handful of baking raisins, grated the fresh ginger and sprinkled with the rest of the seasoning, poured the chicken stock around the edges so as not to wash the seasoning away.  I set the crock pot on low for 8 hours.

IMG_20150216_181616425

I cooked the whole wheat couscous ( the bigger pearl couscous actually does need to simmer for about 20 minutes as opposed to regular couscous that you just pour the boiling liquid over and cover) with chicken stock, cinnamon and more grated fresh ginger to go under the chicken.

IMG_20150216_184917371

I will be tweaking this a little, but overall a good base recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.