Friday, December 31, 2010

I did it!!!! and new knitting goals for 2011

Back in January I joined a group on Ravelry -52in52 - 2010.  The goal of the group was to make 52 projects in the 52 weeks of 2010.  Short/quick projects would average out the bigger time consuming ones.  I started strong, especially with the Ravelympics in February.  ( a knit/crochet/spin challenge that ran concurrently with the Olympics.)  The end of Senior Year in May and June caught me in Angie's swirl for awhile and I slowed down.  In July I finished nothing.  Had a slow August as well, although can I use the excuse of getting the Angie ready for moving into her dorm and college??  September was sort of a comeback, even though I discovered that I greatly overestimated the amount of free time I would have once she left.  I entered December at 40 finished projects. only 40.  I was pretty pragmatic. I figured it was a good goal, and I finished far more projects than I ever had before in the time I've been knitting.

But yesterday, at 6pm I finished my red cowl, project 52 of the year!!  Woot!!  

Here's a picture of projects 50 & 51 - my orange keyhole scarf and mitts (from yarn my friend Min gave me)


IMAG0489


And project 52 - my red cowl


IMAG0492


I'm already looking ahead to 2011.  I am going to try to do the 52 again.  Harder than that I currently have 12 projects on Ravelry that are either WIPs or UFOs (Works In Progres or UnFinished Objects) I don't consider stuff I've worked on recently as a WIP - it doesn't hit that status in my mind until its been out of sight for two or more months.  To become a UFO  it has to have been a WIP for a year or more.  A few of the UFOs were cast on in 2006 ( a year before I joined Ravelry) I guess 2006 is the year I became a knitter - I taught myself to knit in 2003.  But I started out only struggling through one project at a time.  I'd finish something, then pick a pattern, go out buy the yarn (back then it was Michael's. Ragshop and AC Moore- I had yet to discover LYSs or online yarn) most of the time I also had to buy the needles too. In 2006, I started working on multiple projects, and creating my first WIPs and UFOs.  So, 12 on Ravelry, 2 not on Ravelry, I am going to aim for finishing or frogging (frogging is unraveling and giving up on a project, saving the yarn for another project)  one of these a month during 2011.  Some are almost done some barely started, so one a month is the average I'm aiming for.

3 comments:

  1. New Jersey?! No! You're much too far away to teach me to knit!

    Love that orange scarf and the red cowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great!! I love the scarf, mittens, and cowl.

    ReplyDelete

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.