Friday, May 1, 2015

Staring into my fridge...

Some people have menu plans for their entire weeks. Some even write the down, create a grocery list, go the the store, have everything on hand for every day.  Some people even do a lot of the prep work days ahead!!  I am not one of those people.  In my defense, I go grocery shopping every other day - because I go through a lot of stuff that doesn't store for long periods of time.  Mini-cucumbers, tomatoes, packs of "super greens", packs of prewashed salad green mixes, baby bella mushrooms... I do have a pretty decently stocked pantry and freezer that I work with.  Since the Angie has been gone though, I end up having  'extra bits'  either I end up cooking too much and we have to have leftover days, or I have to make dinner of leftover bits that need to be used or wasted.  The other day was one of those nights.





I made a one skillet, one oven dish chicken and bits dinner. First I turned the oven to 350 (it seems like a good default temperature)  I tossed about 3/4 of a pound of baby yukon gold potatoes in olive oil, herbs de provence , dill and a pinch of coarse sea salt.

IMG_20150428_165143356

In the skillet first I browned 2 links of chorizo broken up out of the casing with a handful of  quartered baby bella mushrooms.  I started on very low heat so the oil for the chorizo was enough to brown the mushrooms when I added them.

IMG_20150428_165149193

After adding them to the potaotes, I sweated out 1/2 an orange and yellow pepper, and a whole cubanelle pepper cut in large chunks.

IMG_20150428_165709758

After adding the peppers to the oven dish, I small diced a poblano pepper, 1/4 of a sweet onion, 3 garlic cloves  and the stems of 1/2 a bunch of rainbow chard.

IMG_20150428_170044959

After these started to soften I added the chopped leaves of the chard to the pan and to speed up wilting added a splash of stock after a few minutes.

IMG_20150428_170147712

Finally I browned 2 small chicken breasts cut into chunks sprinkled with poultry seasoning.

IMG_20150428_170945450

Once everything was added to the baking dish (chicken and sausage were still not cooked all the way through)  I covered it with foil and baked it for 30 minutes.  

IMG_20150428_171552686

It came out delicious and Curt took the leftovers for lunch 2 days after.     

 

1 comment:

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.