Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution

I don't think America's Test Kitchen really understands why America loves a slow cooker.  The beauty of a slow cooker is you can put stuff in - go to work and have a yummy dinner almost ready when you return.  Now my slow cooker has the "keep warm" feature so I can set a timer for 5-6 hours and it will just keep it warm until I return - but when pork loin recipes call for 1 hour of cook time, keeping it warm for 7 more hours seems like it won't work.  Close to 3/4 of the recipes in this book are  between 1-5 hours!!  They sound like they'd be good- but unless you work from home, can run home on lunch to start it, or only use your slow cooker on your days off it really isn't very practical is it??  I can do many of these recipes in the same time on my stove or in my oven!

Meatballs Marinara in 4 hours, enchiladas in 1 hour, Spring polenta casserole in 3 hours, chipotle chicken chili in 2 hours??

All this being said, there are 10 recipes (out of 200) that I am going to try.  I'm glad I got this from the library and didn't buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've gotten rid of the word verification for posting comments. To tell the truth, I have trouble reading the new stuff they are using. Feel free to disagree, but spammy or obnoxious comments will not go up.